Below you can find some frequently asked questions concerning the application for our Master’s programs.
When can I apply?
You can apply during the application period. The application portal opens each year on October 1. For our M.Sc. programs non-EU applicants can apply until and including March 1 in the following year. Application for our MBA programs is possible until August 31.
What are the required documents for the application?
Please provide the following documents for a complete application:
- Transcript of records
- Motivation letter
- At least one letter of recommendation merged as one document
- Proof of professional experience of at least 12-24 months depending on the preferred degree program
- If applicable, proof for part-time attendance
- Other proof of performance/assessment, e.g. English certificate, degree certificate, further qualifications (not mandatory for admission)
- Translation of submitted documents (if your documents are not in English or German)
Is a GMAT/GRE necessary?
No, none of these two scores are mandatory for admission at RWTH Business School.
What does "professional work experience" mean?
Professional work experience means full-time work experience where you have incorporated the theoretical knowledge you acquired during your studies in a practical environment. Adding up several jobs is also possible as well as internships in a relevant field. Please note that you need to provide proof of at least 12-24 months of professional work experience depending on the preferred degree program.
Who should write the letters of recommendation?
Your recommendation letters can be issued by a university professor/lecturer or by your current or previous employer. There is no standard form or format for the letter of recommendation that needs to be used, but please make sure that each recommendation letter is no longer than two pages and includes the following details:
- Your relationship to the author
- Your academic/professional history
- Your qualities/achievements/ambitions in your respective field
- Your personal traits and goals
- The author’s signature
- The institution’s/company’s letter head (if possible) and
- A stamp of the issuing institution/company (if possible).
What are the language requirements for the application?
Since our Master’s programs are taught in English, enrollment into the program is only possible if you can provide an officially recognized certificate such as e.g.
- Internet-based TOEFL with a minimum of 90 pts
- IELTS test with a minimum overall band, 5.5 pts.
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with a B
- For German applicants: Abiturzeugnis
However, the English language certificate first needs to be presented during enrollment, so it is not mandatory to upload it during your application.
Exemptions for the language requirements are only applicable for nationals or first-degree holders from the USA, the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.
Please note that knowledge of German is not required. However, we highly recommend taking advantage of our German language course offer in order to get the best out of your study experience in Germany.
Should I translate my application documents?
If your documents, certificates, etc. are not in English or German, you must have them translated by a sworn translator in your home country or in Germany. You can find a list of sworn translators in Germany and their contact information in the Translator and Interpretor Database.
Will I get a notification when the application documents have reached RWTH Business School?
After we have received the application, we will do an evaluation of your application documents on different levels, e.g. formally and academically. At the end of the assessment, you will be informed regarding the final decision.
When will the final admission decision be made?
The application portal closes on March 1 for Non-European applicants and the admissions will be finalized by May/June. We strongly encourage you to apply as early as possible as applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Do I have to take a German course?
Learning another language is an important part of a successful career. Becoming proficient in German is also an essential precondition for succeeding on the German job market, both for an internship during your studies or a permanent position thereafter. As an extra offer within the Master’s programs at RWTH Business School, we offer the option to complete an intensive German language course (either in semester 1 or 2) to broaden your cultural understanding and enhance your career options. You may be able to enroll in further language courses in semesters 3 and 4 at your own convenience.