When does the enrollment take place?

The enrollment takes place personally at the beginning of October in the RWTH International Office. Please make sure to bring all the required documents.

What documents do I need for enrollment?

Please bring the following original documents with you to your enrollment session in the RWTH International Office:

  • Admission letter of RWTH Business School
  • A valid passport, or alternatively personal identification for EU citizens
  • Insurance confirmation from a German public health insurance provider
  • Original English language certificate
  • Your original Bachelor’s degree certificate or proof of an equivalent degree, including your transcript of records
  • Proof of professional work experience of at least 12-24 months depending on your program of choice

You will only be able to enroll at RWTH Aachen University once you can provide all the required listed documents.
Please note that notarized copies without the originals will not be accepted.

What do I have to do after the enrollment?

Upon enrolling at RWTH Aachen University, you will receive details about how to pay your student body and social contribution fee. Please follow the instructions and use the payment details provided so that RWTH Aachen University can automatically assign the payment to your student ID number. As soon as your payment has been received in the RWTH Aachen University account, your enrollment is complete. For this reason, you should pay the semester fee as soon as possible.

What is the BlueCard?

After enrolling, all RWTH Aachen students receive a student ID as a multifunctional smart card. This is the RWTH Aachen University BlueCard. In order to receive it, you have to transfer the semester fee and upload a (passport) photo. Once your BlueCard is ready, it can be picked up (only individually by the identified card holder or authorized persons) at the Service Point of the SuperC (Templergraben 57, 52062 Aachen).
In general, the BlueCard serves as a cash card in the dining halls, a library card or enables you to get certain student discounts in theaters, museums or restaurants etc.

When will I receive my semester ticket?

After you enroll or re-enroll, RWTH Aachen University forwards the necessary data to ASEAG (the local bus company) for your ticket to be issued. Students enrolled for the first time will receive the ticket for the summer semester around mid-March and for the winter semester around mid-September. Otherwise your ticket will be activated for the start of the new semester.
In general, the semester ticket is valid for all local trains and busses in whole North Rhine-Westphalia.

Are there any re-enrollment deadlines?

Yes, students enrolled at RWTH Aachen University must re-register before the start of every semester in order to continue their studies. The Registrar’s Office sends a reminder email at the beginning of the re-registration period and one week before the deadline with all the necessary information.

How do I re-enroll?

By paying the semester fees on time, you officially submit your request to continue your studies. The amount has to be received by RWTH Aachen University by the end of the re-registration period, i.e. the value date of your bank transfer has to be prior to – and including – the last day of the registration period. You are officially re-enrolled after the University has received the payment of your semester fee and was able to identify you as the payer. To facilitate identification, please use the payment reference given in RWTHOnline when you initiate the bank transfer.

What are the requirements for the English language certificate?

For all of our master’s programs certified proof of your competence in the English language through the completion of one of the accepted examinations listed below is needed:

  • TOEFL Internet-based minimum of 90 pts.,
  • IELTS (Academic) test minimum overall band 5,5 pts.,
  • Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
  • First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with a B,
  • Placement-Test of RWTH Aachen University’s language center (B2).
  • For German applicants: A certificate attesting English language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This proof is provided, for example, by the submission of a German Abitur certificate, which shows that English has been continuously taught until the end of qualification phase 1 (grade 11 for G8 A-levels, otherwise grade 12) and has been completed with at least sufficient marks.

In general:

  • The score report must not be older than two years by August 1 of the year your degree course will start.
  • Please do not send the original TOEFL or IELTS score sheets to the university (also not via ETS).

Exemptions for the language requirements are only applicable for nationals or first-degree holders from the USA, the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia.