With our M.Sc. TENT you will receive an extensive business and entrepreneurship education enriched by first-hand practical experience of developing your own start-up idea within the program. The TENT program is an intensive study course consisting of three terms in 15 months, where the first and the last will be held in Aachen and the second in Barcelona. In addition, you may enroll in German language courses during your time in Aachen at no extra cost.
In the first term in Aachen you are taught the foundations of entrepreneurship and start with your entrepreneurial project. Additionally you may choose between two elective courses: Technology and Innovation Management or Strategic Management.
In the second term, these fundamentals are taken up and deepened in Barcelona with specialized courses and group projects including Finance, Marketing, Product Management for Entrepreneurs & Innovators as well as Advanced Strategy Management. Additionally you can choose between two elective courses: Development Tools for Web and Mobile Apps and Corporate Entrepreneurship.
While in Barcelona you also take part in 1 out of 5 Blended Learning elective courses from RWTH Business School. The following courses are offered: Strategic Technology Management, Managing the Innovation Process, Service and Technology Marketing, B2B Marketing or Principles of Data Analytics.
At ESADE Business School, the fundamentals that participants learned during their first term in Aachen are taken up and deepened with specialized courses and group projects including Finance, Marketing, Product Management for Entrepreneurs & Innovators as well as Advanced Strategy Management. Students can choose between two elective courses: Development Tools for Web and Mobile Apps and Corporate Entrepreneurship. Furthermore, they get the chance to take part in the I2P project in which they can work on real-life business challenges that are provided by Spanish companies.
ESADE is a global academic institution known for the quality of its education, its international outlook, and its focus on holistic personal development. Through innovation and creativity, ESADE Business School provides a modern, innovative and inherently digitalized learning experience geared towards training leaders capable of adapting to new ways of thinking and working.
In the third term, the students return to Aachen and work on their Master Thesis.
The learning and knowledge objectives of the program are continuously applied in practice through the integrated entrepreneurial project. Thus the project forms a high interdisciplinary core area of the study program. In cooperation with our experts from RWTH Aachen University’s Entrepreneurship Center, the entrepreneurial project will be carried out within the framework of three courses parallel to the terms during the entire study period:
- Founders‘ Project I – Idea Concept Lab
- Founders‘ Project II – Idea Refinement Lab
- Founders‘ Project III – Idea Finalization Lab
Learning another language is an important part of a successful career. Becoming proficient in German is also beneficial for succeeding as an entrepreneur in Germany or excelling at the general job market. We offer the option to complete a German language course (either in term 1 or 3) to broaden your cultural understanding and enhance your career options. The costs for the course are covered by your tuition fees.
RWTH x ESADE
During our TENT program you will not be studying at only one prestigious European university, but rather two. While RWTH Business School combines the relevant technology know-how from RWTH Aachen University with its technology oriented management expertise, ESADE Business School has an excellent reputation in business administration. RWTH Business School and ESADE Business School join forces to offer you a first class program for your entrepreneurial ambitions.
Upon completion of the TENT program you will be granted an M.Sc. degree by RWTH Aachen University. Additionally you will receive a participant certificate and a transcript of records from ESADE Business School.
Meet the Academic Director: Prof. Malte Brettel
„The professors at RWTH Aachen University are very close to technological changes that are happening and are able to translate that into the newest management competences – that is what we stand for.“
Find out what else Prof. Brettel has to say about our M.Sc. Technology Entrepreneurship in our interview:
Our TENT program has a unique value proposition built upon a hands-on entrepreneurial project, access to world class know-how and exciting international experiences in Aachen and Barcelona as well as our innovative teaching.
- The most important feature of the program will be the entrepreneurial project where you can build your business idea from ideation to launch in a protected environment.
- We will offer you an incomparable learning experience and thoroughly prepare you for starting your own venture.
- We will support you every step of the way during your entrepreneurial project. Thanks to the project you will be able to put the competences and entrepreneurial skills you have acquired into practice starting from day one.
- Practical relevance and hands-on experiences are given not only by the structure of the entrepreneurial project, but also by the possibility to actually transfer potentially successful start-up ideas into practice.
Our TENT program takes place at the heart of engineering and technology in Europe. The city of Aachen as a historical hub for technology research along with a rapidly growing entrepreneurial landscape will be the perfect place for you to embark on your startup journey. Combining a sharp business sense with relevant technology know-how will give your startup the competitive edge to excel in a challenging market environment.
Your stay at ESADE in Barcelona during your second term will add significant academic value and also enrich your study experience from a cultural perspective.
- Hands-on experience: You have the opportunity to work on real-world managerial or technological challenges, enabling you to apply the knowledge gleaned in class and gain hands-on experience.
- Participant-centered learning: All courses are based on a participant-centered approach that emphasizes interaction between instructors and participants through case discussions, group presentations, debates, or lab sessions.
- Interdisciplinary mindset: Most courses focus on the intersection between management and technology, helping you tackle real-world challenges from multiple perspectives and providing you with a truly interdisciplinary mindset.
- Intercultural teams: As working in multicultural teams is a given in today’s world, most courses feature group projects where you can solve managerial and technological challenges in culturally diverse teams.
By participating in our Master’s program, you can leverage your technological know-how and come one step closer to your dream of setting up your own company! Not interested in a startup just yet? Then use your acquired academic and practical understanding of entrepreneurship and become a valuable asset in the private or public sector.
The program will offer you:
- A real and risk-free opportunity to practice being an entrepreneur by providing you with a “protected environment” to develop and test out your first business idea.
- Access to a unique network of entrepreneurs and coaches that will sharpen your entrepreneurial project every step of the way and be a valuable professional asset after your studies.
- A world-renowned academic education from two of Europe’s leading institutions and an intercultural study experience through living in both Germany and Spain.
Completing the TENT master will first and foremost prepare you to become a successful entrepreneur. However, the knowledge and skills acquired have various application areas in the private and public sector.
- Learning by doing: What better way to learn starting your own company than to actually start your own company? During your entrepreneurial project, you will go through all stages of starting a firm: from ideation to product launch.
- Management or Technology Consulting: Your clients want to launch a new product or research a new technology? With your knowledge on researching new markets and product ideas you will be the right person to consult them.
- Venture Capital: Are you interested in scouting out young promising entrepreneurs and helping them grow? After completing our TENT master you will have unique insights into what makes a startup successful and will be able to identify high potential projects early on.
- Project Management: A company or entity is looking for someone to manage their projects? Try someone who had to manage a whole business with limited resources.
- Business Development: Who better to expand an existing business than someone who has created and expanded a business from scratch?
- Product Management: You have a passion for technology and your most exciting part of your master was conceptualizing and developing a product? You will make a great product manager who works at the intersection between R&D, marketing, sales and procurement.
The M.Sc. degree granted by RWTH Aachen University will also enable you to pursue an academic career and continue studying towards a PhD in fields such as technology and innovation management, marketing, or entrepreneurship.
Whichever path you choose to follow after graduation, our dedicated team of experts in the career and entrepreneurship centers will accompany you on that journey and help you decide how to best realize your ambitions. We seek to place our graduates in global technology blue chips, hidden technology champions, leading technology consultancies and fast-growing technology ventures. The Entrepreneurship Center at RWTH Aachen University also has a long track record of supporting innovative startups by our graduates – between 70 to 100 every year.
All students are welcome to apply for the next intake in the winter semester 2021/22 (starting in October 2021).
Our application portal will open again in December 2020 for non-EU applicants and in March 2021 for EU applicants and international applicants who hold an academic degree from a European university. Apply before January 31 respectively before April 15 to benefit from our 10 % Early Bird discount!
Our application portals closes on March 1, 2021 for non-EU applicants and on July 15, 2021 for EU applicants.
To apply for MSc Technology Entrepreneurship, you need to prove different academic and English language requirements.
RWTH Business School is looking for applicants who have a background in a technological area and a Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). Candidates need a minimum of 23 credit points in the fields of mathematics and natural sciences (e.g. higher mathematics, statistics or quantitative methods) as well as 27 credit points in engineering (e.g. mechanics, physics or building physics).
Professional Work Experience
Courses within the TENT program address a broad set of technology and management challenges from current practice. Applicants thus need to have at least 12 months of relevant professional work experience.
For all of our master’s programmes certified proof of your competence in the English language through the completion of one of the accepted examinations listed below is needed:
You cannot find the answers to your questions or want to learn more about living and studying in Aachen respectively Germany? Then take a look at our FAQ area for more information on course specific topics or on general topics like financing & scholarships, the application process, or accommodation.
You want to gain further insights into our study course and ask your questions in a live Q&A session? Then join one of our webinars we offer with our professors!