We accept the following English language certificates:
- Internet-based TOEFL with a minimum of 90 pts,
- IELTS (Academic) test with a minimum overall band, 5.5 pts.,
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
- First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with a B, and
- Placement-Test of RWTH Aachen University’s language centre (B2).
- For German applicants: A certificate attesting English language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This proof is provided, for example, by the submission of a German Abitur certificate, which shows that English has been continuously taught until the end of qualification phase 1 (grade 11 for G8 A-levels, otherwise grade 12) and has been completed with at least sufficient marks.
The score reports may not be older than two years by 1 August of the year in which you are applying for the degree course.
Please note that the proof of English language proficiency is not a mandatory application document. However, it needs to be presented during enrollment. Consequently, you can apply even if you are still waiting to take a language test or to receive the results at the time of applying. Please do not send the original TOEFL or IELTS score sheets to the university (also not via ETS). Please include a scanned copy in your online application and keep the original hard copy.
In case of admission, the original scores have to be presented for enrollment.
English language certificates are not required for nationals or first degree holders from the US, the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia.