Thank you for your interest in one of our Master’s programs. We are already looking forward to welcoming you here in Aachen. To help you with your application please find below our step-by-step instructions. In case of further questions refer to our FAQ area.
Step-by-Step Application Process
Your successful application is only 4 steps away.
Step 1: Collect your documents
Please find here a list of documents to help you complete your application. Collect all of them in pdf format before you start the application process:
Please note, that we require 6 months of professional work experience by the time of admission and at least 12 months by the day of enrollment. The proof also needs to be presented during the formal enrollment process. The proof of work experience must include the following information in the English language:
- Complete address and stamp of the company,
- Contact details and reference of your supervisor,
- Date of joining and, if applicable, resignation date,
- Weekly hours,
- Job position and
- A short description of your tasks and responsibilities.
Please provide a copy of your degree certificate and your transcript of records of your Bachelor’s degree, if possible indicating the number of ECTS credits awarded. If your documents were not issued in German or English, you must have an officially accredited translator translate them into either one of these languages. Please submit the stamped translations together with the copies of the originals. The copies do not need to be notarized.
Please note that you can apply before you have received your final degree certificate. It is not necessary for admission but the original needs to be presented during the formal enrollment process in September, however.
You need to fill out the application form for scholarships and need a reference letter from a professor/advisor (max. 1 page). Please submit your scholarship application online together with your application. We will then assess your provided documents and award the scholarships to the best applicants.
For further information on scholarships please refer to our Financing & Scholarships section.
We accept the following English language certificates:
- Internet-based TOEFL with a minimum of 90 pts,
- IELTS (Academic) test with a minimum overall band, 5.5 pts.,
- Cambridge Test – Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
- First Certificate in English (FCE), completed with a B, and
- Placement-Test of RWTH Aachen University’s language centre (B2).
- For German applicants: A certificate attesting English language skills at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This proof is provided, for example, by the submission of a German Abitur certificate, which shows that English has been continuously taught until the end of qualification phase 1 (grade 11 for G8 A-levels, otherwise grade 12) and has been completed with at least sufficient marks.
The score reports may not be older than two years by 1 August of the year in which you are applying for the degree course.
Please note that the proof of English language proficiency is not a mandatory application document. However, it needs to be presented during enrollment. Consequently, you can apply even if you are still waiting to take a language test or to receive the results at the time of applying. Please do not send the original TOEFL or IELTS score sheets to the university (also not via ETS). Please include a scanned copy in your online application and keep the original hard copy.
In case of admission, the original scores have to be presented for enrollment.
English language certificates are not required for nationals or first degree holders from the US, the UK, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia.
Please provide your latest CV (English, two pages) listing your university education, degrees, work experience and responsibilities.
Please provide a short but compelling statement of purpose stating your goals, aspirations and your expectations as they relate to the master program you are applying for (English, two pages).
Please provide two recommendation letters in English (merged as one pdf). They can be issued by a university professor/lecturer or by your current or previous employer. There is no standard form or format for the letter of recommendation that needs to be used. Please make sure that each recommendation letter is no longer than two pages and includes the following details:
- Your relationship to the author,
- Your academic/professional history,
- Your qualities/achievements/ambitions in your respective field,
- Your personal traits and goals,
- The author’s signature,
- The institution’s/company’s letter head (if possible) and
- A stamp of the issuing institution/company (if possible).
If your documents come in any other language than English or German, you need to submit a certified translation.
After your successful registration please start by entering the information about your program of interest followed by your personal data:
- Start of the Course: Wintersemester 2019/2020
- Type of studies: Master program
- Intended degree: Master (1-Subject)
- Degree program: Choose the name of the program you are interested in
- Entrance semester: 1 – Manual admission
- Form of studies: Consecutive master program
- Update your personal data. Fields surrounded by a yellow line are mandatory (place and country of birth, first nationality). The system currently only supports male and female as gender, we apologize for any inconvenience caused.
- Update your correspondence address
- Update your permanent home address (unless identical with the correspondence address).
- Add an academic background or degree program. Note that you will be asked to enter your first major subject. Unfortunately most of the list is still in German. Also, you are asked to indicate when you have studied. Unfortunately the system only knows about German semester times. If your university works on a different schedule, please use the closest approximation.
Step 3: Upload the required documents
Follow the online application process further and upload the required documents (cf. Step 1) in the following order:
- Proof of professional work experience
- Transcript of records, incl. Bachelor’s degree certificate
- Scholarship application (application form + extra reference letter)
- Other proof of performance/assessment: proof of English competence, further certificates
- Motivation letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- Translation of submitted documents
In case of missing documents, you can upload and change your documents via the section “show status of the application” (NOTE: magnifying glass, not the editing pen) in the online application portal RWTHonline.
The current status of your application can be monitored on the same page.
Step 4: Preview, check and submit
Preview your application and check if everything is correct. Please remember to upload all the required documents before sending the application!
Complete the online application via “send”.
Receipt & Information
Please wait for confirmation of the receipt of your documents. Please understand that it can take some time until you receive a confirmation email. You do not need to contact us, we will contact you as soon as possible via the email address that you provided in the online application system RWTHonline.
Admission & Rejection
Letters of rejection/admission will be sent out for each program indvidually. Letters of admission will be sent as an email and simultanesously by regular post. Letters of rejection will be sent by email.